Money Savy Girls and Financial Literacy

In the May Issue of Kiplinger magazine is an article by the former editor, Janet BodnarShe is also a frequent guest on our major radio station WTOP.  The article is entitled " How to Raise Money-Savy Girls."  The article cites my recommendation to her about my purchasing Disney stocks for my granddaughters. 


As many of you know, I have been an advocate for much increased financial literacy programs.  I think this is especially important for females and investor education.  I am very pleased that Janet Bodnar wrote this article.  I would encourage you all to share this article widely. I have placed it on my Investment Perspectives Facebook and Twitter pages, as well as my personal facebook and twitter pages. I would also encourage you to make comments on the article page so that Kiplinger and Janet Bodnar know the importance this article plays. 

I will discuss financial literacy more in future posts.  Suffice it to say that our country does not do a very good job of providing such education. It is needed at all levels of our education system. We could also offer such at places of work, and many other such opportunities 

Here are a few comments about financial literacy.  The Federal Government convenes a financial literacy council run by the US Treasury Department and quite a few other federal and private organizations. It is entitled FLEC Financial Literacy Education Council.  They have been meeting for several years and issue annual reports. I have attended several of their meetings and they convened one session on investor education at my encouragement.

FINRA has conducted a number of studies on financial literacy and these are very informative.  Gary Mottola leads this work.

George Washington University operates a Global Financial Literacy Center under the leadership of Annamaria Lusardi

As many may know, this is Financial Literacy Month.  I have seen emails from Jumpstart, The Council of Economic Education, ASEC, and others.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finance News

Finance News

Investment Perspectives Blog: Blog Introduction Posted on 9/16/18