Investment Perspectives Blog: Blog Introduction Posted on 9/16/18



Investment Perspectives Blog
Volume 1 Issue 1
September 16, 2018


Blog Introduction

I have recently retired as a board member of the American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) Metro Area DC Chapter. I served on the board for 18 years, both as past president and for many years as Program Co-Chair.  This provided me an opportunity to meet many top investment experts who came to speak at our chapter.  I also served for 6 years as Chair of the Chapter Leaders Executive Committee. AAII has about 50 chapters in the larger cities in the U.S. I am still a lifetime member of AAII which has many valuable resources.  I have learned a lot via AAII. 

I have just started a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/thausnerinvest/ on which several articles, etc have been posted.  I have also created a twitter account:
https://twitter.com/thinvestmentpe1 (or @thinvestmentpe1) I will post more frequently on twitter as it is easier to share such messages. 

I will post a variety of articles on this page.  In this blog, which I will only write on occasion, I will expand more on my own thoughts.  The key post that I started the facebook page with is the following.  

https://tinyurl.com/israelsen0218 This is a presentation that Craig Israelsen made to the AAII DC Metro Chapter in Feb. 2018. Israelsen's 712 portfolio has been a leading source for my investments. His key slide forms the cover of this facebook page.  Craig's 712 model is a key part of my strategy. 

Another key component of my investment strategy is to make use of periodic financial planning reports. These latter reports should be an essential part of any investment strategy. I have had such reports developed every few years and so far, our plan is doing well and will survive at least past 95 years of age, for which I am planning. 

In 2014, I participated in two radio interviews conducted by Ray Rondeau who has been President of the Boston and Connecticut AAII Chapters.  Ray and I worked on the Chapter Leaders Executive Committee for AAII.  Ray is now the current Chair.  Ray ran a radio show called Market Mavens on the UR Business Network.  The first interview reviewed my overall investment strategy. The slides that I used are here https://tinyurl.com/thinvestmentstrat.  I still recommend that these strategies are key to long term investing.

The second interview focused on the investment implications of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).  As background, I worked for 26 years for the US Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. After I retired, I spent considerable volunteer time working on the ACA.  The slides for this presentation can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/thACAinvest.  I have not studied to see if these predictions are still relevant but my guess is that many of them are still applicable. 

In a future blog, I will discuss my thoughts about financial literacy.  My view is that we do a very incomplete job in this country on educating our students on the importance of financial literacy, especially on the importance of using investments as part of one's overall financial plan.  I have advocated at the Federal, State and local levels for the need for more investment education at key points in the education systems as well as more broadly for the general public.  

Other topics for the future include stock selection, purchase and sell decisions, the use of IRAs, TSP plans, and 529 plans, among others. I welcome suggestions. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finance News

Finance News